I’ve no idea where I found this recipe originally, as I usually search for recipes and then deconstruct them to make them my own. So I wanted to call this recipe Jam Donuts but since they look like cupcakes, we’ll go with that. In any case, they’re delicious and you can choose to stuff them full of your favorite jam or not. Your call. Mine always get jam! Sorry I don’t have any gorgeously pretty photos for them, just instagram/android shots. Sometimes I get so excited with a recipe I completely forget to take out the ‘big’ camera. But as long as the recipe’s right and you’re in the mood for cupcakes, you’ll be alright!
- 200g All purpose flour ( 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 170g caster sugar (fine sugar) (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 egg
- 0.8 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 60 ml veg oil or sun flower oil (0.25 cups)
- Sift Flour, baking powder, salt + cinnamon in a large bowl
- add sugar, stir
- make a well (a hole) and add the egg + buttermilk +oil in the middle
- fold and mix gently but don't over mix
- add batter to your muffin pan and bake 20-25 minutes at 180C- 350F
- Bake 20-25 minutes
- When the cupcakes cool, flip them over and make a little hole, take a plastic bag and fill it with your favorite jelly. Pipe some filling into the bottom.
- *take 1 cup of caster sugar and 1 cup melted butter and roll the top of the cupcakes in that mixture after you fill the cupcakes with jam.
Now since I was being lazy, I tried to use regular sugar for the topping- DON’T DO IT! Regular sugar is just too thick. Invest in the caster sugar which is finer, and won’t leave the sugar crunching around in your mouth. I also piped some jam on top out of the plastic bag with a hole in the tip for some more jam-y goodness. Yup, I just made that up. Jam-y. And I still ate the whole lot of ’em. But feel free to share yours!