When I think about chocolate I don’t get all woozy eyed or excited. For whatever reason I have a fruity sweet tooth, so I’ll always search out apple pies or berry crumbles or my mom’s famous flan. But Mikee had a birthday and I was going big. Chocolate overload in the house and since there was chocolate everywhere I barely got any photos with my camera phone so pardon the blur-
I’m on a budget so I didn’t go crazy with fancy organic chocolate or anything like that. I bought what I found at the local grocery store and I also used chocolate chips. Some of them didn’t melt into the cupcakes. This created little bites of extra chocolate-y goodness surprise in your mouth. They were a hit and immediately disbursed so all our friends could enjoy the chocolate explosion for themselves. Word is people liked them so much they were eating them for breakfast. Is there a bad time for cupcake eating?
- 3 1/2 ounces chocolate, rough chopped
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot coffee
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
- 2 eggs
- splash vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 9 ounces chocolate (melted and cooled)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine chocolate, chocolate chips & cocoa powder in a bowl, add hot coffee and stir until combined. Refrigerate until cooled. When cooled, whisk oil, eggs,vinegar and vanilla together with chocolate.
- In another bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and whisk. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, scrape your bowl and give it another quick mix and its done.
- In a bowl add the all the ingredients including your cooled chocolate and use a hand mixer to mix until shiny.
- I used a hand mixer, but you can use a food processor to make the frosting.
- If you want to use a bit more powdered sugar you'll get more frosting. More is good right?
We ate the cupcakes at room temperature when the frosting got nice and gooey. But you have yours any way or time you like