While in Vienna I had this idea to make some Viennese recipes- like strudel, which is so famous. It wanted a savory dish to compliment our dessert. I didn’t want to make it too complicated since the idea is you can make this in any apartment while traveling abroad and I love simple recipes.
We tried to get some Caraway seeds for the pork spice rub, however our German is really bad and we didn’t have too much luck at the market. We did score some juniper berries and I replaced the caraway seeds with cumin. Sometimes people confuse Caraway with Cumin but the two are not the same- Cumin has a lighter color and a more robust flavor. However, the best part of cooking is you can alternate with whatever you have!
- 1 pork tender loin (2kg)
- 4 shallots
- 4 potatoes
- vegetable stock
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8 carrots (we found yellow and orange at the market)
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic (blanched- boil for a few minutes until soft)
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder ( or if you have caraway seeds use those )
- 1/2 lemon rind, grated
- 8 juniper berries
- Lets assume you don't have a large baking dish so we'll get creative! and put the roast with the paste on it in a big pot of water with the carrots, juniper berries, and potatoes. Cook over medium heat for about 1.5-2 hours. Remove the carrots and potatoes and set aside. Take the pork out and place on a baking sheet- if you want to give it some crunch stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Boil the leftover liquid until it reduces by half.
- Let the pork rest for about 15 minutes. Assemble some carrots and potatoes on a plate and by now the pork should be cool enough to shred so put some reduced sauce on it (careful not to eat a juniper berry!) and enjoy.
- You can add your favorite kind of beer (a little bit) to the reducing sauce for more flavor.
- If you have a mortar and pestle you can grind the juniper berries into the spice rub. We didn't so just added them whole!
- If you have a large baking dish you can stick the whole thing in the oven and bake it for about 3 hours.